Sunday, November 18, 2012

Over the River and Through the Woods...



I'm currently en route to New Jersey for Thanksgiving break and I just finished a new activity that I'm excited to work on with my kids when I get back.  We're about to get ready to move out to Fractions soon, but I came up with another activity to give a final test of their ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals.  I like coming up with creative, real-world (or fictional ;) ) projects that will keep them engaged.  

The activity I created is called Santa's Christmas Shopping Spree.  In this activity, Santa loses electricity to his toy shop and must go shopping for the remaining toys that need to be finished for Christmas morning.  My kids will have to calculate the cost of the remaining presents from a toy store after being given the "Nice List" and all of the toys' prices from the toy store.  From there, they will complete additional activities to go along with the story, such as calculating gas costs, speed of the sled, differences in prices from one toy to another, and taxes.  Every operation with decimal numbers is exercised.

Here's what the activities look like:



I can't wait to see how they like it.  If you're interested in using this activity in your own classroom, you can find it here:  Santa's Christmas Shopping Spree.  Have a fabulous Thanksgiving holiday!

Terry :)


4 comments:

  1. Wow Terry! This is incredible. I love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle!!! I'm going to head over to your blog and check it out :)

      Terry

      Delete
  2. I'm glad I found your blog in your Liebster Award nomination! I am happy to say I am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rae! I'd love to check out your blog as well :)

      Terry

      Delete