Monday, November 26, 2012

Testing 1,2,3...


Since adopting the Common Core State Standards this year, I've definitely had to make some adjustments to my math plans.  Georgia has grouped the Common Core Standards into 7 teaching units. (with an 8th unit for "show what you know")  

I have been creating Unit Tests (or formative assessments) for my team to use to assess our students.  We give our students a pre-test before a unit, and then formally assess them at the end of the unit with a post-test.  We use data to group our students based on the pre-test.  I've found this to be a huge help with differentiating instruction because I'm able to group my students better with this information.

The challenge has been coming up with fantastic tests for these units that will be challenging, involve real-world problems, and also include all of the common core standards for each unit.  I've been working very hard on these, and I've finally finished them all.  Here it is: 5th Grade Math Test Bundle - Entire Year



I'm so excited to see how the kids do with these tests.  We've already completed our first 3 units and today we pre-tested Unit 4: Fractions  and will get underway with this new unit tomorrow.  

Fractions can definitely be a difficult task to tackle, especially with such a wide range of learners.  Many students have already had experiences with fractions, while others have had very little exposure to them.  I'm definitely going to be looking into ways to differentiate this unit so that I can meet the needs of all my students.  I look forward to sharing these ideas as I get them.  

Terry :)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Terry!

    I'm a 5th grade teacher too. I tried to download your sample of the CCS tests and TPT is just so overwhelmed it keeps crashing. :0/

    Anyway, I really like the look of your stuff and I will keep trying to check out your test sample.

    Laurie

    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Laurie-Walsh
    http://techwithouttears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie,

      If you'd like to send me your e-mail, I can send you a few previews. I have previews for each of the individual tests. My e-mail is terry.abromitis@gmail.com and I'd be more than happy to share the previews with you. Just send me an e-mail and I'll reply back with a few. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Terry :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Terry,

    I nominated your blog for the Liebster Blog Award. I found it through TPT. You can check out my blog for the info and details on the award. :)

    -Margaret
    iHeartLiteracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry, I deleted my email so I don't get spammed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terry! I nominated you for a Liebster Award Sunday evening and forgot to tell you! I am one of your newest followers. Check out my blog if you want more details :)
    Lindsey@ Keeping Up With Kindergarten
    keepingpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stumbled upon your blog and am loving it! I've nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. Check out my blog post to see what that means!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade
    http://fortheloveoffirst.blogspot.com/2012/11/new-blogger-liebster-award-and-thanks.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I love your blog and I nominated you for the Liebster Award!! Check out my blog for details!! I have been following you for a few weeks now!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 5th grade team at my school has been looking for Common Core assessments! Yours look great and I will pass them along :)

    I am your newest follower :)

    Susan
    T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan!! That would be awesome! We use them on my 5th grade team along with the excel data sheets to analyze student growth. Let me know if your team has any questions!

      Terry

      Delete