Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Fabulous Freebie: Trimming the Tree


I'm so excited to put out a freebie that I'm really proud of.  I love practicing decimal multiplication with my kids because it's such an important skill that they will be using for the rest of their lives.  The activity that I came up with follows a story of a family who is going out to get a tree and decorations for the holidays.  It's called Trimming the Tree.  Given pictures and prices, students must calculate the cost of the items the family plans to purchase.  Check it out:




The second part of the activity challenges students to calculate discounts after being provided with a list of coupons that the family has.  They will need to find the new price of the items that have a coupon.


Once the discounted prices are found, students will then re-total the decorations to find the price after the discount.  Finally (what we alllllll love when shopping), they will have to calculate sales tax onto the discounted total in order to find the final total of the purchases. 


I hope you're able to use this activity with your students and I'd love to hear any comments/feedback you have afterward.  Happy Holidays!!

Terry

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this on TpT. I can't wait to share it with the other teachers on my fifth grade team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the sweet comment, Stacy! Let me know how it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a kick out of your recent comments on the forum. It's called GOOGLE!

    ReplyDelete