Sunday, December 9, 2012

On the 12th Day of Christmas...


I decided to create some review math centers.  The last week before the holidays can make kids and teachers pretty antsy.  I never like going into "filler" mode so I wanted to create something that would be fun, festive, but also give me an idea of which skills my students are still falling behind on.  Lo and behold, I created 12 Days of Christmas Math Centers

My colleague, Mike, made an ADORABLE set of 12 Days of Christmas Clipart.  What can I say?  It inspired me!  I created 6 different center activities to assess where my students are at and which skills I will need to revisit:

#1 - 5.OA.2 Write simple expressions that record calculations with numbers, and interpret numerical expressions without evaluating them.
#2 - 5.NBT.4 Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.

#3 - Add decimals - Students use the prices from the page above along with the pictures below.  They must add the cost of each of the items in the picture together.
#4 - Subtracting decimals - they subtract the given costs of the two items from each other from the price chart above.
#5 - 5.NBT.5 Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.  Word problems in this center involve whole number multiplication.
#6 - Dividing decimals by whole numbers.

Since there are several activities, I will do a few things.  I plan on having them work on this over several days.  I will also have some students do fewer activities than others.  I'm also going to place the activities all around the room and have different groups working on different tasks.  I can't wait to see how they enjoy this activity and, more importantly, find out what I'm going to need to re-teach after the holidays.  

Terry

4 comments:

  1. Love the 12 days of Christmas theme and the clip art is adorable. I think I downloaded a freebie for MLK from your colleague. I just found your blog and am now following you. I would love for you to drop by mine when you have a chance!
    Patti :)
    A Series of 3rd Grade Events

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patti! Yes, the MLK clipart is fantastic. I need to figure out what I'm going to make with it. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I'm heading over to yours right now!

      Terry

      Delete
  2. Terry! I love his activity and glad to see my clipart inspired such an awesome project!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks adorable! I wish I had found your blog before Christmas!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete