Thursday, January 3, 2013

Can Vacation Last Forever???


I'm extremely lucky that I have a much longer winter break than others.  Growing up in NJ we would get off of school around Dec 23 and go back Jan 2.  In Atlanta, we left for break on Dec 19 and are going back on Jan 7.  This has given me lots of time to go home to NJ, visit with my family, and get some much needed relaxation.

All good things come to an end, and it's time to get back into gear with school.  When we left, I was in the middle of teaching fractions.  I'll need to do some reviewing of adding and subtracting (because I'm sure the kids have forgotten) and then begin on multiplying and dividing.  

I've worked hard on a new lesson packet to help me with teaching multiplication of fractions.  This is usually pretty easy for my students, but one of the new components of Common Core is to represent mathematical expressions with visual models.  It's a Multiplying Fractions Packet.  Here is what I came up with:



The packet contains:
  • 3 mini-lessons for teaching multiplication of fractions by fractions and fractions by whole numbers.
  • student practice pages for each mini-lesson
  • word problems
  • final quiz on all the lessons
I'm looking forward to trying this out with my students so I can see how well they grasp the concept.


1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you- reteaching addition and subtraction of fractions before hitting multiplying and dividing. I "heart" breaks, but hate it when they hit right in the middle of a unit! Can you believe the break is almost over???? Sigh :*(
    Well, we have spring break to look forward to!

    Heather
    www.2brainyapples.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete