Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Making Me Proud with Physical and Chemical Changes



What have your students done this week to make you proud?  Mine worked very hard on one of our new Science units:  physical and chemical change.  This topic was introduced this week with a hands-on lab activity that kept my kids engaged.



In this photo, students are identifying ways that a banana can undergo a physical AND chemical change.  To do this, they first cut up the bananas and then allowed them to sit for a while, eventually turning brown.









The photo to the right is a mixture of salt and water.  Students were asked to brainstorm how this mixture could undergo a physical change.







The photo on the left shows students weighing a cookie after it has been broken into pieces.  They also weighed the cookie before it was broken in order to identify what type of change is occurring to the cookie.  






The best part of this activity for me was watching how engaged and verbal my students were with each other.  They came up with amazing ideas on their own and it was fun to see them get excited to tell their ideas to their classmates.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog from a comment you wrote about my $80 day on TPT. I love your blog and your store. I am now following both of them!

    My Journey to 5th Grade

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    Thanks so much for checking out my blog! I'm ready to head over to your blog and store so I can follow you on both :) It's so great to have another 5th grade teacher to go to for some great resources.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete