Monday, January 14, 2013

Student Goal-setting


One thing I've been trying to focus on this year is giving my students the opportunity to set personal goals.  I think that for anyone, if you don't have a goal, how do you motivate yourself to work hard?

My 5th Grade team uses a set of common assessments that I created this year.  We have 7 Unit Math Tests that we use to assess our students.  We give a pre-test and a post-test so that we can analyze student growth.  While it's important for us to be able to see student progress, I think it's also essential for my students to see their own progress.  I decided to create this Math Test Student Goals Journal.







Each unit test has its own goal sheet where students will analyze, compare, and graph their pre and post test scores.  I hope that by allowing my students to visually see their progress, their goals will continue to increase as we continue through the units.


2 comments:

  1. Terry, I think this is such a great idea! I think about how I am motivated by seeing numbers and clear evidence and it is a reminder that this is so true for our students! Great job!
    Alyssha
    Teaching and Tapas: 2nd Grade in Spain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssha,

    Thanks so much for the sweet comment. I'm trying to make student goal setting a higher priority. I recently sat down with each one to set Accelerated Reader goals for this quarter. It's often hard to find the time to sit down with every child, but I want them to be able to see their progress.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete