Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Assessments...Oh my!



I have been extremely hard at work this year creating Math assessments that are specifically and carefully aligned to our newly adopted Common Core Standards.  In GA, we were given a scope and sequence that breaks down the standards into specific units, but we didn't really have any types of tests or quizzes that we could use to test the knowledge of our students.

The first thing I did was begin creating unit tests.  I have 7 unit tests that I also have combined into my 5th Grade Math Test Bundle.  Each unit test contains 20 multiple choice questions that match the standards for that unit.  This is great for easy grading and gathering data on each student.  Here is what it looks like:


And example of test pages from one of the units:
 

The tests have been extremely helpful to me and my grade level and for each unit, we analyze data using these Unit Test Excel Data Sheets.  This is great for evidence of student growth and identifying skills that need to be revisited either for the whole class or individual students.


Recently, I added another type of assessment to check my students' progress as we move through each individual unit:  Unit Quizzes.  I created a quiz for each standard within each unit so that I can identify skills that students are struggling with before we get to the final unit test.  Here is what they look like:

Here is what some of the individual quizzes look like:




I am hoping that it will allow me to better identify groups and even serve as a review before the end-of-year state assessments.  


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssha! I'm working as much as I can. I've seen some great new additions to your store as well. Keep up the good work!

      Terry

      Delete
  2. Looks great!! Love the colors! :) I'm your newest follower.

    Brittany
    http://thesuperheroteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete