Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Terry's Top 10 Tuesday: Why I Became a Teacher


Hey everybody!  I'm so excited to share my second week of Terry's Top Ten Tuesday!  This week's topic is the:
Here is my list:

10.  Having a more casual dress code than Corporate America.  
In my days of interning in corporate America, I hated having to wear pants suits or anything formal.  I never felt comfortable in those outfits.  With teaching, business casual is much more comfortable to me, and I especially love when we get a surprise jeans day here and there :)
9.  Having summers off.
Let's be honest.  A teacher's schedule is something to envy.  Yes, we DO work after school, on weekends, etc., but having the ability to have long holidays off with your family, a summer to work an extra job if you choose, and being able to sometimes make a doctor's appointment after school is pretty appealing.
8.  I'm a mini celebrity.
Do you ever have students of yours that see you walking down the hall during the day and they are waving at you excitedly even though you literally just walked them to lunch 5 minutes ago?  It's like they never saw you the entire day and they are so enthralled that you are there.  It's kind of strange when you think about it, but that's what kids do.  They adore you and want to show you how excited they are to see you all the time.  I bet that someone over in the accounting department wouldn't do that if I walked over to the break room in a corporate job.  (Well, hopefully not)  I also have 20+ Valentines every single year.  It's incredible!
7. Every day is unique.
Whether a kid throws up in class, there's an unannounced fire drill, or there's surprise cake in the work room, a day at school is never the same and infrequently monotonous.
The days FLY by.
When you truly make great plans and are helping your students with their work, before you know it, the final bell is ringing.  I could never spend my day sitting behind a desk.
I have the ability to be creative every day.
Planning lessons and making them engaging takes a lot of skill and creativity.  I love trying to find ways to get my students interested, even in the subjects they dislike the most.
4.  Working with kids can be a lot of fun.
Kids…they say the most interesting things…whether it's a funny joke, or they realize you're having a bad day and they say something sweet that turns it all around.  We all have lots of stories.
3.  It was a childhood dream of mine.
When I was in elementary school I used to come home and I would teach a fake class of students in my bedroom.  I had a class list and even made up spelling tests in which I had certain kids who always did well and some who always got the answers wrong.  I even made my mom buy me a pull down map from Rand McNally with a pointer to put in my "classroom."  I was always taking things to another level.  I even have a tape recording of an interview that my grandfather did with me when I was in 3rd grade.  Two of the questions he asked were:
  1. Where do you want to go to college?  Answer:  Penn State.
  2. What do you want to be when you grow up?  Answer:  A teacher.
I accomplished both of those.
2.  Wanting to make a difference in someone's life.
This past year I had a student who had lots of trouble, especially with teachers.  At the end of the year, he wrote me a note and said, "Out of all the teachers I've had, you never gave up on me."  If that's how he feels, then every second of the year was worth it.  
1.  That moment when you see the "light bulb" go off in a kid's head and realize that they finally "got" it.
It has happened to all of us.  When you have a student who is struggling to master a skill and you FINALLY find the perfect way to show it, explain it, or whatever works…and they GET IT…and you can see the moment that they truly get it.  That's priceless.  

This list was a great reminder to me of why I got into the profession of teaching.  It has definitely become more difficult than I am told it was in the past, but it is STILL a great career to have and if you love it, then it's the right one.  If you don't, then there are plenty of other fields that you can go into.  


Don't forget that you can write your own Top 10 on the topic above on your blog and link your post up with me here:
An InLinkz Link-up

Join me next Tuesday for the next edition of Terry's Top 10 Tuesday.  As always, I will be announcing the topic on my Instagram next Sunday, so make sure you follow me @terrysteachingtidbits so that you can link up!

No comments: