Sunday, July 26, 2015

Terry's Top 10 Tuesday: Why I Teach 5th Grade

This week for Terry's Top 10 Tuesday, I want to tell you why I teach 5th grade and I want to hear why YOU teach what you teach!

Since we all teach different subjects, I've created a graphic for all of the subjects/areas I could think of that you may teach.  Go to my GOOGLE DRIVE to grab the graphic for your grade/subject.  If you teach something that I don't have a graphic for, E-mail me and I will be happy to make it for you really quick so that you can participate.  



10.  Our Social Studies standards are AWESOME.
9.  My students understand most of my jokes.
8.  At our school, 5th grade is the last year of elementary school so we don't have to make class lists.
7.  I get to use historical fiction for novel studies, allowing me to cover ELA standards while also reinforcing our Social Studies content.
6.  Taking a sick day is a lot easier because my students can tell the sub exactly what to do and how our day runs (as long as it's the truth!).
5.  My students are able to take on a lot of classroom responsibility so our class runs like a well-oiled machine.
4.  Parents are much more laid back as their kids get older :)
3.  My students can work independently a lot of the time, allowing me to spend some one-on-one time with others.
2.  I can incorporate challenging, creative ideas that they are old enough to handle.
1.  They are old enough to understand when you are having a rough day, but young enough to still give you a hug and make you a cute card to get through it.

Tuesday is my first day of pre-planning, followed by the first day of school on Wednesday, August 5.  I'm so excited to meet my new group of 5th graders.

What do you teach and why do you love it so much?

No comments: